I've been engaged in the word racket for 45 years -- the first 30 largely editing (Knopf, Viking, Harcourt; New England Monthly, Life, Time), since then mostly writing. Born in Detroit, educated (sort of) in Ann Arbor, domiciled half the year on Cape Cod, the other half on the Upper West Side.
Awards and Recognition
- Albert J. Beveridge Award for Year's Best Book of American History, 2011 (Last Call)
- Finalist, Pulitzer Prize in History, 2004 (Great Fortune)
- Honorary degree (L.H.D.), University of Michigan, 2014
- Honorary degree (L.H.D.), Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, 1989
- National Magazine Award for General Excellence, 1986 and 1987