Ron Leshnower has used his legal background to write four books and numerous articles and blog posts on a range of topics, explaining complex issues in plain English, offering commentary and insight on legal, policy and civil rights matters, and alerting readers to key legislative developments that may affect them on a personal or professional level.
Ron is the author of President Trump's Month: An Epistolary Novella (Hillocrian Creative), a satirical novella imagining a Trump presidency through executive orders, proclamations, transcripts of speeches, and other "official" documents, which was named a finalist in the "Adult Fiction: Humor" Category of the 2016 Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Awards..
He has also authored Fair Housing Helper for Apartment Professionals (Hillocrian Creative), a Finalist in the "Business: Real Estate" Category of the 2014 International Book Awards and #1 bestselling Kindle eBook on discrimination; Every Landlord's Property Protection Guide: 10 Ways to Cut Your Risk Now (Nolo), an Amazon.com #1 multi-category bestseller that can be found in law schools and libraries across the country; and Every Landlord's Mold Prevention and Liability Guide (Nolo).
Ron has been invited as a keynote speaker for national real estate conferences, Continuing Legal Education (CLE), Rotary, and other business organizations around the country. He has appeared as an expert on CBS News and NBC News and has been quoted in The New York Times' "Real Estate Q&A" column, Realtor.com Advice, Trulia.com, TheStreet.com, MainStreet.com, Newsday, The Motley Fool, Debt.com, The Associated Press' "Your Money" series, the New York Daily News, The Tampa Tribune, The Spokesman-Review, Black Enterprise, Bankrate.com, Minyanville.com, Roomi Blog, SelfStorageFinders.com, CEO Blog Nation, the Real Estate Intelligence Report, and the Landlord Law Report, among other publications.
In 2008, The New York Times Company's About Group selected Ron as the About.com Guide to Apartment Living / Rental. He has since written hundreds of articles and nearly 1,000 blog posts offering useful tips, explanations of key industry developments, and insightful commentary on a wide range of topics pertaining to rentals. Ron has also written articles about business, real estate, personal finance, and the law for the National Apartment Association's Units Magazine, Nolo.com, Landlordology.com, as well as several trade newsletters, and he has contributed guest posts for MyNewPlace.com, among other blogs. His writing has also appeared in The New York Times.
In 2007, Ron founded Fairhousingblog.com (along with fairhousinghelper.com and fairhousingresources.com) with an aim "to present a variety of interesting and relevant fair-housing news and commentary." In 2014, Ron launched "Ron's Rent Roundup," Nolo's landlord-tenant blog, in which he has offered a range of useful tips on legal subjects for both landlords and tenants. In 2016, he launched "Hillocrian Blog," offering insights and commentary on a range of timely topics.
Ron earned a B.A. in Italian Language & Literature (intensive writing option) and Music from Yale University and a J.D. from Boston University School of Law, with Honors in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Concentration. He is admitted to practice law in New York and Massachusetts and is a member of the Authors Guild, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), and American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP).
Awards and Recognition
- Foreword INDIES Book of the Year Awards (Finalist in the "Adult Fiction: Humor" Category, 2016)
- International Book Awards (Finalist in the "Business: Real Estate" Category, 2014)
Press and Media Mentions
- Kirkus Review: Fair Housing Helper for Apartment Professionals
- Kirkus Reviews ~ Fair Housing Helper (Video)
- 2014 International Book Awards ~ Fair Housing Helper (Video)
- Midwest Book Review (Reviewer's Choice): Every Landlord's Property Protection Guide
- "Fair Housing Helper for Apartment Professionals Offers Comprehensive, Affordable Training in Wake of Staggering Number of Discrimination Complaints" (PR Newswire, April 30, 2013)
- "Fair Housing Training on an iPad? New eBook Makes Discrimination Training Even More Convenient and Affordable" (PR Newswire, January 21, 2014)
- "'President Trump's Month: An Epistolary Novella' Tells a Satirical Story Through a Sequence of 'Official' Documents" (PR Newswire, August 16, 2016)