Carol Fisher Saller
Carol Saller, author of The Subversive Copy Editor, is the long-time editor of The Chicago Manual of Style’s online Q&A and was chief copyeditor for the 16th edition of the Manual. She has also worked as a children’s book editor at Cricket Books (Carus Publishing) and is the author of several books for children, mostly recently the YA novel Eddie’s War. Her blog posts appear at The Subversive Copy Editor blog, the Lingua Franca blog (Chronicle of Higher Education), and the CMOS Shop Talk blog.
Awards and Recognition
- For Eddie's War: ★ Maryland State Black-Eyed Susan Award, 2014–2015 nominee (Grades 6–9) ★ Bankstreet Best Children’s Books of the Year, 2012 (Ages 12–14, Outstanding Merit) ★ 2012 Best of the Best Fiction for Teens, Chicago Public Library ★ Kirkus Reviews, Best Children’s Books of 2011 (Starred review) ♥ Horn Book, Recommended Verse Narratives
- Pug, Slug, and Doug the Thug: Main feature on PBS Storytime television show, 1994
- For The Bridge Dancers: Carl Sandburg Award for Children’s Literature, 1991
Press and Media Mentions
- Recurring appearances on WTTW (PBS), "Chicago Tonight"
- "Style Guide Superjam" (American Society for Editing annual conference 2018). "At Friday evening’s Superjam at ACES2018, editorial titans Paula Froke, Carol Saller, Susan Wessling and Angela Gibson dove into the ins and outs of their respective style guides, captivating an overflowing room. . . ."