Mark Loewen is a psychotherapist and a dad. He was born in Asuncion, Paraguay and moved to the United States to pursue his counseling career. He met the love of his life shortly after finishing graduate school. A few years later, they became dads through open adoption.
Becoming a father to a girl further opened Mark's eyes to the challenges many girls and women face in today's world. Mark's passion for equality drives everything he does, whether he is in the role of husband, father, therapist, or friend. Mark is the founder of LaunchPad Counseling, a private practice in Richmond, VA.
He also started Brave Like A Girl, a website that helps parents who are raising Brave Girls. With his book, "What Does a Princess Really Look Like?" Mark hopes to add more representation of diverse families in the kid's literature, by featuring two (gay) dads.
Press and Media Mentions
- Interview with CBS 6 News - Building Better Minds segment.
- Midwest Book Review - Children's Bookwatch: LGBTQ Shelf.
- Interview with GayRVA.com: The True Meaning of Princess: Author Mark Loewen’s New Book Delivers Empowering Messages To Young Girls
- Scarymommy.com - 20 LGBTQ Books For Kids From Preschooler To High School
- Interview with Connecting Through Play: This Dad Couldn’t Find a Story That Represented His Family, So He Wrote It
- Interview with Lydia Lukidis: The Anti-Conformist Picture Book
- Mombian Review: What Does a Princess Really Look Like? She could be Brave, Strong, and have Two Dads
- Review from Long And Short Reviews YA - What Does a Princess Really Look Like?
- Review - The Bendy Bookworm: What Does a Princess Really Look Like?
- Review from ParentingPatch.com - What Does a Princess Really Look Like?