Jonathan LaPoma is an award-winning novelist, screenwriter, songwriter, and poet from Buffalo, NY. In 2005, he received a BA in history and a secondary education credential from the State University of New York at Geneseo. A few months after graduating, he and a friend took a seven-week cross-country road trip from Buffalo to the Pacific. Within a year of his return, he bought a one-way ticket to Mexico, where he lived in a small Pacific coast town for five months and traveled throughout the country in an attempt to find answers to questions that haunt many young adults trying to find their place in the world. These experiences have become the inspiration for much of his writing, which often explores themes of alienation and misery as human constructions that can be overcome through self-understanding and the acceptance of suffering.
Jonathan has written two novels, five feature-length screenplays, and hundreds of songs and poems. His screenplays have won over 40 awards/honors at various international screenwriting competitions, including first-place victories in the 2014 Hollywood Screenplay Contest (Grand Jury Award), the 2015 Las Vegas Screenplay Contest (two wins: Grand Jury Prize and 1st Place, Drama category), the 2014 London Film Awards (Grand Prize-Feature Screenplay category), the 2014 Awareness Film Festival, and the 2014 West Field Screenwriting Awards (The New York Award). He lives in San Diego, CA, and teaches at a public secondary school.
Awards and Recognition
- 2015 Buffalo Niagara Film Festival: Finalist
- 2014 Beverly Hills International Film Festival: Finalist
- 2015 Twister Alley International Film Festival: Finalist
- 2014 Table Read My Screenplay: Semifinalist
- 2014 Oaxaca Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2013 Oaxaca Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2015 Sacramento International Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2014 Sacramento International Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2014 Glendale International Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2015 WriteMovies37: Quarterfinalist