Jonathan LaPoma is an award-winning, best-selling novelist, optioned screenwriter, songwriter, and poet from Buffalo, NY. In 2005, he received a BA in history and a secondary education credential from the State University of New York at Geneseo, and he traveled extensively throughout the United States and Mexico after graduating. These experiences have become the inspiration for much of his writing, which often explores themes of alienation and misery as human constructions that can be overcome through self-understanding and the acceptance of suffering.
LaPoma has written three novels, ten screenplays, and hundreds of songs and poems. His screenplays have won over 130 awards/honors at various international screenwriting competitions, and his black comedy script HARM FOR THE HOLIDAYS was optioned by Warren Zide along with Wexlfish Pictures (AMERICAN PIE, FINAL DESTINATION, THE BIG HIT) in July 2017. LaPoma's novel DEVELOPING MINDS: AN AMERICAN GHOST STORY is an Amazon Best Seller ("Satire" and "Urban Life" Kindle categories), and it won the 2015 Stargazer Literary Prizes (Visionary and Metaphysical Fiction category) and won the bronze medal in the 2016 Florida Authors and Publishers Association President's Awards (Adult eBook category). His novel UNDERSTANDING THE ALACRÁN won the silver medal in the 2017 FAPA President's Awards (Contemporary/Literary category). He lives in San Diego and teaches at a public secondary school.
Awards and Recognition
- 2015 Buffalo Niagara Film Festival: Finalist
- 2014 Beverly Hills International Film Festival: Finalist
- 2015 Twister Alley International Film Festival: Finalist
- 2014 Table Read My Screenplay: Semifinalist
- 2014 Oaxaca Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2013 Oaxaca Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2015 Sacramento International Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2014 Sacramento International Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2014 Glendale International Film Festival: Official Selection
- 2015 WriteMovies37: Quarterfinalist