Alex Zucker is an award-winning translator of Czech literature. He also works in editing and communications. From 2014 to 2016, he served as cochair of the Translation Committee at PEN America.
Alex’s next translation appears in May 2017: Angel Station, a novel by Jáchym Topol (Dalkey Archive Press). In the first pre-publication review, Kirkus writes, “Zucker explains in a rich translator’s note that this brutal little novel by inventive wordsmith Topol (The Devil’s Workshop, 2013, etc.), published in Czech in 1995, is the third entry in a prose triptych depicting Prague as the city evolved beyond the end of communism. It accomplishes its goal, as does its 2000 no-budget film adaptation (Anděl Exit). However, with its harsh colloquial language, colorful descriptions, and heavy focus on drugs, the novel recalls nothing so much as Irvine Welsh’s cult classic, Trainspotting (1996).”
Alex is currently translating a novel by Petra Hůlová for Jantar (UK), and editing for the Czech Film Center.
In 2016, Alex published three translations: Midway Upon the Journey of Our Life by Josef Jedlička (Karolinum Press); Love Letter in Cuneiform by Tomáš Zmeškal (Margellos World Republic of Letters at Yale University Press); and The Attempt by Magdaléna Platzová (Bellevue Literary Press).
His last major editing project was Reconstructing Atrocity Prevention, published by Cambridge University Press.
Awards and Recognition
- ALTA National Translation Award
- National Endowment for the Arts Literary Fellowship
- English PEN Award for Writing in Translation
- Typographical Translation Award
Press and Media Mentions
- Kirkus on Jáchym Topol’s Angel Station
- TLS on Tomáš Zmeškal’s Love Letter in Cuneiform
- TLS on Josef Jedlička’s Midway Upon the Journey of Our Life
- Magdaléna Platzová’s The Attempt in “75 Notable Translations of 2016” at World Literature Today
- Wall Street Journal on Heda Margolius Kovály’s Innocence
- NPR on Heda Margolius Kovály’s Innocence
- Interview, “Translating Fact into Fiction”
- Interview, “The thrilling, tricky art of translation”
- Interview, “Translators, Rates, Money, and Unions”
- Interview, “Alex Zucker and His Authors”